Planting 5 basil plants may have been a little aggressive. After Landon and I decided to up our "adulthood" this summer, we spent what felt like 7 hours on a Sunday at a gardening center to try our hand in the domestic sport. Neither of us know jack about gardening, but it seems to be working in our favor so far, because our herbs are freakin' prolific. At some point during our haj to the gardening mecca of Lowe's, we convinced ourselves that we needed a shit ton of basil. I'm a fan of pesto, putting it in green smoothies, sprinkling it over Italian dishes, etc...so 5 sounded like the right number.
Let me tell you....no one needs 5 basil plants. I don't care if you eat a jar of pesto a day, 5 basil plants would still be too many. If nothing else, it at least looks beautiful and smells amazing in the yard. So...long story short, I'm basically putting basil on and in just about everything I make. This recipe is basically the culmination of me just throwing a bunch of shit together in pursuit of getting through some of our basil forest. It just so happened to be amazeballs, so I HAD to share it with you. It's light, refreshing, and takes 2 minutes to throw together, as there is zero cooking involved. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 bags Trader Joe's frozen organic cauliflower rice, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 cans wild caught canned salmon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Throw all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss together until everything is equally distributed. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Serve! I like to add an extra drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top.