This is way easier to make than it probably sounds. I just felt like I needed to pander to the blogging world and give this bowl of simplicity an uppity name. I've been eating this for breakfast, lunch and dinner because it's so damn delicious at any time of day. What you can't see in the photo is a big pile of white sticky rice sitting underneath that yolk porn. Let me tell you - adding the rice to the already winning combo of bacon, eggs and kale is magnificent....I would highly recommend that you not skip that part (unless you're sensitive to rice...in which case...sucks to suck). EAT UP, BUTTERCUP!
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into small strips
- 2 cups of chopped and de-stemmed kale
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of cooked, white rice (jasmine rice is my fave)
- In a big skillet, cook up the bacon strips until done. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to dry off.
- Leave the rendered bacon grease in the pan, turn the heat to medium-high and add the kale.
- Let the kale sit, undisturbed, for about 2-3 minutes, or until they develop a slightly browned, crispy consistency underneath. Then flip it all around with a spatula and let sit for another minute or two. You want the kale to remain green, with just a few browned/crispy areas throughout.
- Remove the pan from heat, squeeze the lemon juice over top, add the salt and garlic powder, and stir to evenly distribute the juice and seasoning.
- In a separate skillet, cook your eggs to your preference (you can do this while the kale is cooking if you're good at multi-tasking). I like mine over easy and crispy on the bottom, so I add a tsp of oil to the pan, let it warm up on medium-high heat, then add the eggs to the skillet once the oil is hot. Let them sit for a few minutes, until they develop a golden crust underneath and the whites on top are mostly set. The yolk should be golden and runny. I also like to season the shit out of my over easy huevos with Trader Joe's 21 Season Salute.
- In a serving bowl, start with your rice (make sure it's warm!), add the citrusy kale and bacon pieces, and top with your two glorious eggs!