Well it's been a hot minute since I've given you something delicious to feast on, but I'm not sorry because I've just come back from the most glorious vacation in Italy. Since it's no longer acceptable for me to east pasta twice a day, drink wine like I'm hooked up to a steady IV, or pound pastries and chocolate with a morning cappuccino, I'm pretty much in denial. A big ole' group of Amato's, plus a few other street urchins (otherwise referred to as our significant others), flew back to the motherland to celebrate our Nonna's 90th birthday. My god that woman has aged well. I'm telling you...that laid back, cheese-filled Italian way of life is basically a real-time Fountain of Youth.
So now that I'm back in the US and missing last week's mind blowing Roman flavors, I decided to make something Italian-inspired (even though I, ironically enough, didn't have any pesto while I was there)....but it also had to be easy and effortless since jet lag is a total bitch. Shredded pesto chicken was the answer. It's light and delicious and tastes good with just about anything. I threw it over a bowl of zucchini and carrot noodles...mostly because I didn't want to disappoint myself with a bowl of real pasta that would have, no doubt, paled in comparison to all the amazing noodles I crammed into my cramhole last week.
If anybody needs me, I'll be drowning in a pool of my own pasta-less tears.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup pesto (try my homemade walnut version!)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and slather them with the pesto.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and stir it all up.
- Turn the slow cooker on LOW for 6 hours, or HIGH for 3 hours.
- When it's done, shred it all up, give it a big mix and serve! Feel free to add an extra dollop of pesto to your plate before chowing down.