My mom and dad really opened my eyes to the glory of grilled eggplant recently. I'm sure they've been doing it forever, but for some reason my memory tells me I didn't start eating it until like two years ago. But then again I also grew up thieving spoonfuls of granulated sugar from friends' houses at play dates and hoarding boxes of Lucky Charms and Hershey's Hugs (not to be confused with the standard Hershey's Kiss...huge difference and if you don't know it then you need to re-evaluate your life) under my bed. Soooo pretty sure if good ole' ma and pa were feeding me eggplant, I blacked it out with all the other nutrients they desperately tried to get into my chubby cheeks.
Anywho...my favorite way they serve it is with lamb burgers and greek salad. Oh man...it's so good. My mom also makes this dope lemony feta dip that I would funnel into my mouth via a whipped cream can. Ok...now that I've just described lamb burgers and cheese dip you all are probably like "greeeaaatttt eggplant sounds so good now...NAHT." Whatever, stop pouting. Be a grown up and eat your vegetables.
- 1 large eggplant (curveball, I know...)
- Olive oil to drizzle
- About an hour before grill time, slice your eggplant into about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Generously salt each side of the eggplant slices and gently layer in and around a colander. Leave the colander in the sink for an hour to allow the salt to extract the excess moisture from the eggplant. You should see visible drops of water when it's done.
- Rinse the eggplant slices (don't skip this...otherwise you'll get a bitter taste) and thoroughly pat dry.
- Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Place the eggplant slices on the fired up grill for about 5 minutes per side or until browned to your liking. Serve up with burgers or whatever the hell ya want!