This protein and healthy fat enriched breakfast (or anytime meal, really) is sure to get your day off to a GREAT start. It's easy, nutritious, tasty and happens to look good on camera (cue a well-deserved Instagram #foodporn opportunity).
Let's talk about baked avocado for a second. And grilled for that matter. Basically, any culinary vehicle for warming up an avocado is - contrary to what I would have thought - just delightful. After 24 years of relentless wisdom and undebatable maturity (read: this past weekend, my dumb ass fell off my front porch at 3am into a bush, thus shattering my brand new iPhone...THAT kind of maturity), I always assigned "room temp" as the serving method of choice for our fatty green friends. WRONG! Newsflash: the consistency of a baked or grilled avocado makes me weak at the knees. And apparently so does whiskey - or as my dad calls it, "brown water". Don't worry, though my level of maturity may be in question and the bruises I'm now sporting in unexpected places may indicate otherwise, my dignity is surprisingly still intact.
- 1 large, ripe avocado, cut in half and pitted
- 2 eggs
- Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Arrange the avocado halves close together in an aluminum foil-lined oven-safe dish.
- With a spoon, carve out a little extra meat out of the pitted area of the avocado halves. You want to create enough space so that the eggs will sit in there without pouring over.
- Gently crack an egg into each avocado "well" and sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika overtop of each half.
- Place the avocado boats in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the whites set (leave in longer for a more well-done egg, and less if you like it a little runny).
Servings: 1-2 (1 for me...2 for most normal humans)