Did you have an AWESOME Labor Day Weekend? Ok - enough about you, more about me. I had a fabulous LDW, chalk-full of boozin', foodin' and more boozin'. T'was just an all around indulgent weekend, and - though I may have felt like hefty piece of doo doo yesterday - I wouldn't have changed a thing! My girlfrand and I (no, not an actual girlfriend, though people HAVE confused us to be a romantic couple...I'll leave it at that) went to my parents house located in a bustling Virginian metropolis. And by "bustling metropolis" I mean it's a highly intimate community where you can unbutton your pants after a big meal and claim a bottle of spirits to yourself for cocktail hour without being judged. It's truly a wonderful long weekend venue.
Sunbathing cookie monsters by day and tequila slammers by night, us gals had all food and beverage bases covered. The most delicious liquid we funneled into our faces by far was this Watermelon Cucumber Basil Margarita, complements of my momma! And let me say - while I was naughtier than usual this weekend as a whole, this is a cocktail I would readily incorporate into my squeaky clean diet when I'm feeling frisky. Just because your "paleo" doesn't mean you have to abandon all social impulses of going out and letting loose with a drink here and there! This isn't strict paleo since no alcohol is ACTUALLY paleo by definition, but it's pretty damn close. Gotta hand it to her - my mom is always down for a good time and is usually always equipped with the tastiest of tasties to accompany any party. Using fresh pureed watermelon and cucumber and a touch of agave-based basil simple syrup, one sip of this baby will have you intoxicated based on flavor alone (....unless you're a heavy handed pourer...in which case, it's probably the tequila).
Just because summer is ending doesn't mean you can't enjoy the last of it with a delicious summery 'rita! Treat yo'self, foolz.
- 12-15 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small watermelon, cubed (discard the rinds)
- 3 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced
- Tequila of choice (my favorite is Espolon...make sure you look for a 100% agave tequila, otherwise you're likely purchasing a bottle of half tequila, half sugary garbage)
- In a food processor or blender, whiz up the agave nectar, water and basil leaves until the basil is essentially pureed into the liquid. Store in an airtight jar.
- Clean out the blender and puree the watermelon. Store in an airtight jar.
- Clean out the blender and puree the cucumber. Store in an airtight jar.
- When you're ready to get your drink on, assemble the cocktail. Fill up glasses with ice, add a jigger (or two) of tequila, and then pour over 1/2 cup of the watermelon juice and 2-4 tbsp of the cucumber puree. Add simple syrup 1/2 tsp at a time, stir and taste.
- Get watermelon wasted. Or tastefully buzzed...whichever suits you.