The ginormous zucchini are best for making boats, as suggested by my wise mother - so first tip is to go for the larger than average zuke here. This recipe is a hearty and healthy way to get your pizza on, so you're welcome. Out of lack of creativity and a severe case of writer's block...I'm just going to go ahead and get right to the recipe:
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of your favorite pizza sauce, depending on how saucy you like it (look at the ingredients for a clean variety!)
- 2 loose handfuls of pepperoni (like the precise measurements?)
- Optional: 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 and wrap a baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Cut your zucchini in half, length-wise (or hot dog style if that resonates better with you) and core it. Easiest way to do this is to simply scrape out the soft center and seeds with a spoon. Place the boats in the baking dish and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add your olive oil and ground sausage and cook on medium/high heat, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is cooked through, add the pizza sauce and warm through.
- Spoon the sausage/pizza sauce mixture evenly among the boats and place the baking dish in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and add the pepperoni and cheese (if using). Place back in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Flip the broiler on for an additional 3 minutes to crisp up the pepperoni and brown the cheese if you want to roll like that (I sure do).