These protein- and fat-rich bombs of goodness are just the greatest little treats ever. Pretty much, I took something that is already off the chain, and made it even more awesome. Toot toot! Oh - that's just my horn you're hearing.
But really. I mean...when you look at a big juicy meatball, you're already likely to be thinking to yourself "oohhh merrr gerrdd, I love meatballs"...because, who doesn't - am I right? BUT THEN...you cut into it...and at first you're slightly alarmed because it's like...why is my meatball leaking white goo (gross)? And all at once...you realize...IT'S MOZZARELLA! And then you're confounded as your whole world has been fundamentally altered because you never realized you could look at something so beautiful...or taste something so explosively delicious.
Well...looks like your evening forecast is cloudy with a (100%) chance of meatballs. MAMA MIA LET'S REIGN SOME ITALIAN MEATBALL HELL UP IN THIS BIA!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp Italian seasoning (or 1 tbsp dried basil and 2 tbsp dried oregano)
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mozzarella (I recommend the pre-formed small balls of mozzarella...I purchase them from Trader Joe's, aka the Mecca of cheese)
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350. Prepare a wire rack on top of an aluminum-lined baking sheet (aluminum foil just makes for easier clean up).
- In a mixing bowl, mix all meatball ingredients together (excluding the olive oil, mozzarella and marinara sauce).
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 loose meatballs. In your palm, flatten each meatball and place desired amount of mozzarella in the center. Close the meat around the cheese back into ball form. Repeat with all remaining meatballs. Tip - this is super easy when using the small, pre-formed mozzarella balls.
- In a skillet (preferably cast iron), warm the olive oil over medium/high heat and place the meatballs in. Sear on each side for about 2 minutes, or until slightly browned on the outside (don't let them cook through).
- Place the meatballs on the wire rack baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs cook in the oven, pour the marinara sauce into the skillet and heat on low until the meatballs are done.
- Move the cooked meatballs back into the skillet and coat with the marinara. SERVE!