If you A) are an overachiever or B) have time on your hands, go ahead and make the plantain chips yourself! They are really easy - in fact, I have a recipe here (self-promotion...duh).
Alternatively...if all you can think about are nachos and want them to appear in front of you with little to no effort at all, do what I did, and use the ones from Trader Joe's (or whichever plantain chip brand you like most). This optimizes time on your keester so you can catch up on the news while your chicken cooks. Translation: so you can catch up on the trashy tv show that you're not-so-secretly obsessing over. For me, it's Scandal. For you, it might be Teen Mom 2...I won't judge (unless of course it IS Teen Mom 2...then be not mistaken that I am 100% judging you at present time and for all your days to come).
I absolutely cannot be the first one to think of plantain chip nachos, but I was feeling really awesome about myself the other day when I threw this together. Never again will I feel deprived of nachos. Disclaimer - I use cheese on mine. If you can't tolerate dairy, leave the cheese off - I promise, they will still be delicious.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 20 plantain chips (general serving size...adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used grass-fed cheddar)
- 1/2 large avocado, or 1 small avocado
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Place the chicken breast in your slow cooker and cover with 1/4 cup salsa. Cook on LOW for 4 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and set aside. Best to do this the meal before you plan to eat these (so I put the chicken in after I've eaten breakfast so it's ready to go by lunch).
- Arrange the plantain chips on a microwave-safe plate. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and microwave for 30 seconds, or until the cheese has melted.
- Top with the shredded chicken and remaining 1/4 cup of salsa.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado, salt and lime juice (for some shortcut guac), and scoop on top of your nachos.
- Dig in!