Sounds good, right? Well, if you don't like mushroom, broccoli or chicken, then maybe not...but don't make me laugh...why wouldn't you like those things? Just kidding, I won't judge you for your standard American palate, which typically lacks a "hankering" for veggies. Not to make light of an actually serious epidemic in society...but I'd be willing to gamble a hefty amount of cheese that most American's consider the tomatoes in their pizza sauce an adequate serving of veggies.
Plain and simple, some people just have to learn to love vegetables. It's just one of those adult things. If you don't like them...tough shi*. You're a grown a$$ woman or man...treat your body right and deal with it. Man...tough love can really be a buzzkill. Sorry. But not really. Though I have a veggie fetish in my present adult life, I even had to learn to love them. I will say, Momma was always good about feeding us kiddos plenty of nourishing veggies...and I was even better about nourishing our dog with those veggies when no one was looking. Hate to admit it, but I was that kid. Despite my parents' valient efforts, they just could tear me from suckling at the sugar teet of Lucky Charms, Charleston Chews (so random) and Reese's Cups (dope). Furthermore, I'm almost certain that potatoes were about the extent of my "vegetable" consideration in college.
So here I stand...telling you that if you don't like the veggies in this recipe, sub them out for some you do like (i.e. sub the mushrooms for an onion or something). But if you don't like vegetables at all...then quit acting like a cotton headed ninny muggins and suck. it. up. Eat up...and if you must, go ahead and congratulate yourself for eating your veggies like a big boy or girl as though you just won the third grade spelling bee on an offensively easy word like "jog". CELEBRATE the veggies! They just want to be loved!
I admit, I got the idea for this recipe from another blogger. WHAT? PLAGIARISM? You object, I know. I just loved Grass Fed Girl's recipe so much I had to come up with a version of my own! Hers uses a fair bit of broth, whereas I wanted to turn this into something creamier. Almost reminiscent of my favorite types of soup - cream of [insert literally anything here...broccoli, shroom, potato...even cream of bacon...is that a thing?].
Now go. Put on your big boy pants, prosper in sliced mushrooms and FEAST!
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 10 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional: if you can tolerate diary, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other cheese of choice) kicks this recipe up to the next level!
- Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease a casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil and add the broccoli and mushrooms. Saute on medium/high heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, the coconut milk, and the cheese (if using). Add the shredded chicken and sauteed vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish and place in the oven for 1 hour.