Sometimes a bowl of hot cereal just hits the spot. This warm little concoction of fruit and nuts delivers a hearty, nutrient-dense fat bomb that easily fills my pre-paleo oatmeal void. However, I will preface this recipe by saying "easy on the nuts" [insert immature chuckle here]. Ok, but actually. Because the base of this recipe is an assortment of nuts (lol), the fat content can really creep up. While healthy fats are critical to incorporate in a nutritious diet, nuts are a fat source that are far too easy to overeat. So while I generally eye ball serving sizes, I typically am pretty diligent about measuring out the nuts here so I don't end up consuming a whole cup's worth (which I could do EASILY).
Topping this mofo off with some almond or coconut milk, sliced bananas, strawberries or any other fruit you have on hand is just delightful. I can picture you now: curled up on your couch with a mug of coffee, noshing on a hot bowl of primal cereal and watching your morning news (or in my case...catching up on the latest episode of Scandal). If only corporate America didn't get in the way of this becoming an every day ritual.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk (plus more to taste)
- Optional: sliced bananas and/or fresh berries to garnish
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender until you get a chunky consistency (if you want a smoother, creamier consistency, keep pulsing).
- Place the cereal in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot.
- Add banana slices or fresh berries to garnish and pour a little more almond or coconut milk over it all to taste.