You know that Mocha Cocoa Dry Rub I posted a while back? If not, check it out because it's awesome. Turns out I was totally making it into a one trick pony by only using it with ribeye. It just so happens to also be an amazeballs rub on chuck or rump roast and thrown into the slow cooker.
I'm not messing around with this recipe. This stuff is the bizness. Some people are hesitant about coffee flavored anything outside of their morning cup of Joe, but rest assured that the coffee element is absolutely necessary here. It brings out an exceptional flavor in the beef that will make you question yourself for never having thought to use it before.
If you are patient enough to not rip into the roast immediately after the slow cooking is done, you would be remiss NOT to take all the juicy goodness from the slow cooker and reduce it down in a skillet into a thick sauce to pour back over the shredded beef. A lot of double negatives there. Let me be more clear. MAKE THE SAUCE AFTERWARDS.
- 3 lbs chuck roast or rump roast
- 1 batch Mocha Cocoa Dry Rub
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup bone broth or stock (any variety, but beef is recommended)
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Generously rub the beef roast all over with the dry rub ("too much" doesn't exist). Place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a blender and puree. Pour mixture over the roast.
- Set your slow cooker to LOW for 8 hours.
- When cook time is up, remove the roast to a bowl and shred with two forks.
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Pour all of the juice and sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until the sauce begins to reduce and thicken up. Drizzle the sauce over each serving of shredded beef. Store the remaining sauce in an airtight container and use as needed!
Recommendation: this shredded beef is GREAT over salad, and the reduced sauce makes for a phenomenal dressing over top!