I love a good Sam I Am burger...especially when its on a pork patty. "What the f*** is Sam I Am" you ask? My answer is two-fold: 1.) You're culinary naivety is cute, and 2.) If you don't know what it is, then you a) haven't lived, b) are no real foodie, and/or c) should leave society now and establish yourself in the wild as a savage animal. Just kidding!! But not really.
To be fair, what I call a Sam I Am burger may differ from others' definition...but my way should be the only way (which is how I feel about most things...I feel bad for the sucker who ends up with me). It's a glorious compilation of ground meat (in this case, pork), homemade pesto, caramelized onions (lots of 'em) and a perfectly fried, runny egg. Did you just get goosepimples? Cuz I sure did. Please do yourself a favor and make these. Mostly so that people (and by "people" I'm referring to myself) no longer pity nor judge you for never having experienced the sheer, face melting awesomeness of Sam I Am.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3+ tbsp ghee
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 batch homemade pesto (hint hint: make my Basil Mint Pesto!)
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 400. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine ground pork, salt, cumin, paprika and dijon. Form 4 patties.
- Heat up a tsp or so of ghee in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Sear the patties for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the patties to the baking sheet and place in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the patties over, and return to the oven to bake for 6 more minutes.
- While your pork burgers bake, caramelize your onions. Place 2 tbsp of ghee in a large skillet over medium/high heat and add onions. Stirring occasionally, let them saute for about 15 minutes, or until they are translucent and flimsy. Add additional ghee as needed while caramelizing.
- Now, add a bit of ghee to a skillet and fry your eggs as you like them (I just crack them in one by one and let them sit for about 3-4 minutes...I like my yolk runny!).
- Generously spread your homemade pesto on top of each patty, followed by caramelized onions, followed by the fried eggs.
- Lick your plate.