Remember those little cups of ooey gooey caramel that would conveniently be placed RIGHT by the apples in the produce section of the grocery store? Hilarious placement, actually..."yes, let's place this load of sugary crap right in front of the fruit and totally derail the choices of all the healthy schmucks that come through our store...muahahahah." It's like putting a sewage system next to a playground. Might as well toss a bowl of spaghetti squash with Hershey's chocolate sauce and M&Ms (....light bulb!). I pretty much gain 10 pounds just from looking at the stuff now, but back when I was in high school and impervious to weight gain, I would funnel that nonsense into my face. I used to also eat two snickers bars before almost every high school field hockey practice...which in hindsight is just as atrocious as it is impressive.
Now that I'm more educated in the real food scene and habitually read ingredients before purchasing anything packaged, I've reeled in the high fructose corn syrup face funneling. Fortunately, my high school caramel apple dip days are not over. This recipe is so simple and totally free of garbage ingredients. Sweetened only with dates - mother nature's truest form of candy in my humble opinion - this dip is so spot on. You can do so much with it - dip sliced fruit in it, use it to sweeten up a smoothie or your morning cup of bullet proof coffee, or simply indulge in a plain spoonful when you have a small hankering for something sweet!
- 15 medjool dates
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- Soak your dates in a bowl full of water for about 3 hours.
- Strain and rinse the dates. Add the dates and all remaining ingredients into the bowl of your high speed blender or food processor. Blend on high power until totally pureed.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge!