My manfriend likes to get up and go workout most mornings, so he typically grabs a yogurt on the go...which means I almost always cook breakfast for one. For that reason, I got myself the cutest little mini cast iron skillet. Let me first say, that if you ain't no single lady and you're cooking for friends or family, go ahead and triple the recipe to fit a larger cast iron skillet.
Fritattas are a fancy looking way to easily use up leftovers and change up your morning breakfast routine. Even better, if you can tolerate cheese, I would strongly suggest adding some goat cheese at the end of the cook time. Mmmmmmmmm....cheeeeeeesseee. Ok, anyways. You can definitely get creative with the ingredients, but I had bacon and trimmed leeks on hand so that's what went into my fritatta, and it was great. Shocker, I topped it off with goat cheese at the end, but go ahead and omit that if you're dairy intolerant.
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tbsp coconut milk, full-fat
- 2-3 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup leeks, thinly sliced (yellow onion works well too)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 avocado, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- Whisk your eggs, coconut milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In your cast iron skillet, cook your bacon pieces all the way through until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon pieces to a paper towel-lined plate, but leave the rendered bacon drippings in the skillet.
- Add the sliced leeks to the skillet and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the bacon pieces back in. Pour the egg/coconut milk mixture into the skillet, and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs have set.
- Pull the skillet out of the oven, crumble the goat cheese over top, and return to the oven for another minute or two (or until the goat cheese is melty). If not using the cheese, skip this step and just take the frittata out when the eggs are done.
- Garnish with sliced avocado and serve!