BABY kale, people. Baby kale. For a pesto recipe, "grown up" kale is a little too bitter. So stick with baby kale and you'll be lickin' the jar clean. I have another fantastic pesto recipe using basil and mint, but it has parmesan in it so I wanted to come up with something that was more strict paleo (sans the dairy). Annddd here you go!
You can use any nut you'd like. Traditional pesto uses pine nuts, but I find that this particular pesto tastes amazing with ALMONDS. Walnuts would be good too. Give the almonds a shot and see how you like it! Certainly a delicious, new take on an old Italian favorite. Options are endless here - slather it on some chicken, spoon it into your morning scramble, eat it right off a spoon...get weird with it!
- 5 oz package of baby kale
- 3/4 cups dry roasted, unsalted almonds (or pine nuts or walnuts)
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (depending on how tangy you like it)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to your food processor or high speed blender and blend until you get a thick and creamy pesto! If you want to thin it out, add coconut milk 1 tbsp at a time.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 1 week or store in the freezer for longevity.