Remember that Blackberry BBQ Sauce recipe I posted a hot second ago? Well, feast your eyes on this baby! Ok fine, so many of you may not consider a salad something worthy of eye feasting...but I DO. This salad is decadent, delicious and unlike most salads you've probably eaten...largely due to my blackberry bbq chicken. I'm going to continue to brag about that sauce for a while so get used to it. This just in - it makes a FABULOUS face mask. I learned this shortly after "taste testing" the sauce (pretty much just dunked my face right into the scalding hot saucepan). Just kidding. I was more civilized than that! Instead, I used a ginormous ladle and luged it down my throat...consequently a lot of it made it to my cheeks, chin and...well...places I'd rather not talk about. Face mask au natural!
So one of the many ways you can use my Michelin star-worth bbq sauce is with shredded chicken. And then you can eat the chicken as is (delish) OR fight the urge to eat it right out of the crock pot and toss it in a delicious, ranchy, nutrient dense and totally filling salad. MAYBEEEEE you can make extra bbq chicken so you can do both. Now that's a Michelin star idea!
I'd highly recommend throwing together a jar of the paleo ranch (recipe below) for this salad, but if you're in a hurry or don't have the ingredients readily available, feel free to choose whatever dressing you have. Actually no. I take that back. Make the ranch. Just do it.
For the Salad
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup Blackberry BBQ Sauce
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced n' diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large avocado, cubed
For the Paleo Ranch
- 1/2 cup paleo mayonnaise (I like this recipe, but I use macadamia or avocado oil).
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place your chicken breasts in your slow cooker and pour BBQ sauce on top. Set to LOW for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks. Spoon some more BBQ sauce from the slow cooker pot into the shredded chicken bowl (to taste).
- Make ranch in a separate bowl: whisk all ingredients together. Voila!
- Add mixed greens, tomato, bell pepper, carrots and avocado to a big salad bowl. Pour ranch over the bowl and add shredded chicken on top. CHOW DOWN!