I think of my slow cooker as my little sous chef. Actually, it's more like the main chef since it does all the cooking while I do nothing... Seriously, if you're not using a slow cooker, you're missing out on all of the flavorful glory that comes from pure laziness. It's magical how some of my best dishes come from absolutely no prep work at all. You literally just have to dump stuff in there and let it do it's magic.
My Ninja slow cooker is easily my favorite kitchen gadget (but that's only because I don't have a Vitamix...yet), but it was pretty pricey. A worthy investment if you ask me, but you can find some very affordable slow cookers that won't break bank and will still do the job, like this one!
This bolognese is a go-to for my slow cooker. At this point, my slow cooker and this bolognese are in a serious, committed relationship. They're past the "honeymoon phase" and are in it for the long haul. Personification aside...I'm really just trying to say that I make this on the reg. It can't get any easier or more delicious. Typically, I take this recipe and double it so I can freeze half of it. This way I am always stocked up on bolognese to accommodate the inordinate amounts of spaghetti squash I consume on a weekly basis. I'm talkin' like 3 spaghetti squash a week, people. I mean bizness.
So go ahead, sit on your keester and do absolutely nothing while your slow cooking sous chef (or main chef) whoops some bolognese butt and prepares you a deliciously hearty meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 14 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 7 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to your slow cooker first. Add ground beef on top and break up slightly with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add remaining ingredients and set your slow cooker to LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Stir up the bolognese when the time is up and serve over zoodles or spaghetti squash!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later.