Dudes. I know brussels sprouts are a big time hit or miss, but if you dig them, then you've got to make this side dish. Let me also just say that if you dig 'em and have NOT had them with bacon, then you in no way can dub yourself a brussels sprouts lover...I mean, that's just like brussels sprouts 101. For me, eating brussels and bacon together for the first time was like experiencing Dirty Dancing for the first time. I felt life altering pangs of sheer taste bud joy and glory...much like the sensations brought on by Patrick Swayze's stellar hip thrusts and shimmies.
I'm certainly not the one to have revolutionized the pairing of bacon and b-sprouts, but I've started preparing this dynamic duo in a way that differs from my previous tendency of dowsing the brussels with olive oil and shoving them in the oven. The key here - roasting your brussels sprouts IN the bacon grease. Duh. Additionally, my friend and fellow bacon enthusiast, Meg, further rocked my b-sprouts world when she roasted hers with mustard and balsamic. Combining the bacon/bacon grease/mustard/balsamic elements into one is totally face melting. Thank you, Miss Meg. I'd say the magic of tasting this b-sprout witchcraft is like having Patrick Swayze hip thrust and shimmy inside your mouth. I'll reign it in now. Until next time. May the bacon grease be with you.
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet, fry up your bacon to your desired crispiness.
- While your bacon is cooking, slice your brussels sprouts in halves.
- When bacon is done, remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Keep the skillet full of bacon grease on the stove and toss in the brussels sprouts. Add mustard, balsamic and salt and pepper to taste, and saute the sprouts on medium/high heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until they start to slightly brown (make sure all the sprouts are coated in bacon grease).
- Remove the slightly sauteed brussels sprouts to a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until browned and fried to your preference.
- Break up the bacon into pieces and toss in with the brussels sprouts. Serve!