With some beautiful fresh yellow cherry tomatoes and an eggplant on hand from my friend's gorgeous garden, I decided to combine the two to make a slammin' paleo take on bruschetta. I recommend this to anyone - paleo or not - because it is SERIOUSLY delish. The flavors are so fresh and clean that it's almost impossible to save for leftovers.
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 globe eggplant
- Parmesan cheese to grate
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic, onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix together and refrigerate for about an hour to let the flavors marinate.
- Preheat your oven to 400. Slice your eggplant into medallions, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place eggplant on a baking sheet and brush each side with olive oil. Generously salt and pepper the tops and drizzle balsamic vinegar on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and flip the eggplant. Salt and pepper the other side, drizzle with balsamic and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant and top each medallion with a spoonful of the tomato mixture.
- Grate a little bit of parmesan over the bruschetta and place the tray back in the oven for a minute until the cheese melts. Serve!