Recently, Meg and I had "one of those nights" where we just felt the need to drown ourselves in pizza and wine. So eggplant pizza and a bottle of malbec it was.
This is primal because it has cheese...but if you want to be the paleo police and have zero fun, you can omit the cheese (jk - it would still be delish). These are guilt-free mini pizzas that will have you eating the entire pan at once. Meg and I were initially excited to have pizza leftovers for lunch the next day...which became problematic when every single slice was gone in about 15 minutes. Also (much like many of my other self-proclaimed awesome recipes) this is really adaptable so you can really top it off with whatever you want.
- 1 globe eggplant
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra to brush on eggplant
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- Jar of marinara sauce
- Pepperoni (we used Applegate's)
- 1/2 cup raw shredded cheese (we used mild cheddar)
- Slice your eggplant into medallions and place on paper towel. Generously salt the tops of the eggplant and let sit for 10-15 minutes. You will see droplets of water rise - pat the tops dry with a piece of paper towel. Flip the slices over and repeat. This is an important step as this helps extract much of the excess water that the eggplant naturally retains (if you do not do this, you will end up with soggy eggplant. Yuck.)
- While your salted eggplant slices sit, cook your chicken over medium-high heat with olive oil. When the chicken has cooked through, add the olive halves to warm through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When eggplant is ready, brush one side with a touch of olive oil and place on the grill, oiled side down. Grill for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, brush the un-oiled sides with a touch of olive oil and place back on the grill (newly oiled side down) for another 5 minutes.*If you prefer to not use the grill, you can place the eggplant slices in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes (still brushing the tops with olive oil and flipping the slices halfway through).
- Remove your eggplant slices to an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Spread desired amount of marinara sauce on top. Add your pepperoni, followed by shredded cheese, and top off with a scoop of your diced chicken and olives.
- Place the eggplant pizzas under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Serve!