In light of turning 23 today and consequently pulling gray strands of hair out of my head on a daily basis, I decided I'd celebrate by diving face first into a bowl of cupcake batter - I've heard that's a great way to prevent wrinkles and aging. I'd also like to note that I made these four days before my birthday...which is acceptable since the female species traditionally enforces "birthday girl law," stipulating that the entire week (sometimes month) leading up to their big day belongs to them. Birthday celebrations are never restricted to one day...unless you're selfless and don't like to be the center of attention. What's that like, by the way? Just kidding...? So, with that being said, these cupcakes were a mere extension of my birthweek. Me, me, me, me, me.
While it was no easy feat, amidst my cake batter scuba diving, I pulled myself out of the mixing bowl and left a little extra batter to make actual cupcakes. I made these in miniature form and iced them with mocha buttercream frosting. A lot of [crazy] people don't really care for coffee flavored things...but I didn't really care about or consider those people when making these. I'll be honest...these are pretty heavy as a standard sized cupcakes, so I thought making them as minis would help me exert better "control" (I put that word in quotation marks because the size of the cupcakes becomes irrelevant when you eat five of them...and when you eat half the batter before even putting them in the oven). BUT they are a nice celebratory treat and I will eat them with a smile on my face!
I made these mini cupcakes so that "everybody" at the office could enjoy them...but really, I just put out a few and kept the rest for myself. Selfish? Maybe. Do I care? Not really. Why? Because it's my birthday and I can cry if I want to and I can also wear mocha buttercream frosting as a facial mask if I want to.
So happy birthday to you too and make these...even if it's not your birthday. Make them right meow.
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Mocha Buttercream Icing
- 2 sticks grass-fed butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a mini muffin tin with 24 liners.
- Mix all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl. You want the batter to be runny.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Set aside and let cool.
- For the icing, melt the stick of butter in a large skillet. Add the remaining icing ingredients and stir on low-medium heat until mixed completely together. Pour in a bowl and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes or until it thickens up.
- With a knife or piping bag, spread the icing on the cupcakes. Make sure your cupcakes are completely cool so that they don't re-melt the icing.