Right when I think I miss the soy-based asian foods I used to consume on the reg, I remember that it's pretty easy to satisfy that craving in true paleo fashion. At work a couple of weeks ago, the main floor had leftover P.F. Chang's from some executive meeting...and if there is anything that we can all agree on, it's that P.F. Chang's knows how to do lettuce wraps. So I thought I'd try my luck with some lettuce wraps using real, clean food. How hard could it be?
Not hard. I personally love the peanut taste that a lot of asian cuisine features in their dishes, so I went ahead and used almond butter in my recipe. The effect was strikingly similar and I was very pleased! If you're not so much a "peanut sauce" person, then just omit the almond butter component of the recipe. This recipe also features coconut aminos, which is a paleo soy sauce substitution. Tamari would also work here.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari, plus more to taste
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 big handful of cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted almond butter
- Romaine hearts (in its full form - not chopped or pre-bagged)
- Optional: 1 tsp of honey
- In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey and all of the chopped veggies except for the cabbage over the sesame oil. After a minute or two of cooking, add the coconut aminos/tamari and honey (if using).
- Once the turkey is almost done, add the cabbage and the cashews to the skillet and warm through, mixing it in with everything else.
- Once the turkey is completely cooked all the way through, give it all a taste test - if you would like it to have more of a "soy" flavor, add more coconut aminos to taste.
- Once everything is cooked and flavored to your satisfaction, toss in the almond butter and coat evenly.
- Transfer the turkey mixture to a big bowl, and pull apart the romaine hearts into individual lettuce boats. Load up each boat and devour!