Looking for the perfect side dish that goes with just about everything? Merry Christmas! I know this is EVERYTHING you wanted and more...a side dish recipe. You're welcome. Call me Santa.
Ok, sarcasm aside, this recipe actually gets me irrationally excited. Multiple factors contribute to my giddiness here: a) I freaking love spaghetti squash anything...I would legit choose it over regular pasta any day; b) once the squash is cooked, whipping up this pasta dish takes like...a minute; c) I ALWAYS have these ingredients on hand; d) I freaking love spaghetti squash.
I technically consider this a "side" because there is no protein in the recipe; however, I suppose you could technically call it your main dish if you throw a big piece of protein over it. Some of my favorite pairings here are salmon or brown buttered chicken pieces. Give it a shot and let me know what ya think!
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked (find cooking instructions here)
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup baby kale (or regular kale), chopped
- A few shakes of garlic salt
- Optional toppings: pine nuts, grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt your butter and add your garlic. Let the garlic saute for about a minute or until it becomes fragrant and very slightly brown.
- Add your pre-cooked spaghetti squash to the skillet and stir around to mix through the butter/garlic.
- Once the squash strands start to look a little brown (from the butter/garlic...not due to burning...don't burn your squash!), add the lemon juice and stir around.
- Add kale to the skillet and mix through. Let sit for about one more minute and remove from heat when the kale begins to wilt.
- Add garlic salt and mix through.
- Add toppings and serve with your protein of choice!