Remember my Starbucks rant? Well...Starbucks strikes again with the magical holiday beverages. I always succumbed to their peppermint mocha flavored anything during the holidays, so obviously it became mandatory that I figure out how to get my peppermint mocha fix on without compromising my health. I have come up with two recipes so you can satisfy your peppermint mocha cravings in two ways - frozen or hot! A frappe in the winter seems weird, but who am I to discriminate against those of you in SoCal or Florida? And I'll admit...I've enjoyed this frosty drink amidst a light snowfall myself. And it was delightful.
Note: The recipe calls for "coffee ice cubes" - I always keep a tray of coffee ice cubes for this reason. Just pour a pot of brewed coffee into an ice cube tray and then freeze it. This is also perfect for iced coffee - now your coffee will never get watered down!
For the Frappe
- 1 frozen banana
- 5 coffee ice cubes
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp honey
- A few drops of peppermint extract (don't overdo it - peppermint extract is strong. Start with 2 drops and then taste it to see if you want more)
For the Whipped Cream
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (scrape the solids from a refrigerated can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tsp honey
- Place all frappe ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the coconut cream and honey until whipped and fluffy. I use a hand mixer, but a whisk will also work if you put some elbow grease into it.
- Pour frappe into a glass and top with the whipped cream!