Because this is legit the meatiest chili. If you LOVE steak, please try this. I am always a big fan of the traditional ground beef-based chili...but cubed steak in chili is just really special. It's like a dancing plethora of protein-rich, juicy, fatty goodness on my palate. UGH. SO GOOD.
I will say a huge plus to making chili is how quick it is. Just toss all the ingredients in your slow cooker and let the crock pot do its magic. This is particularly the case when using ground beef. This chili recipe pretty much abides by the "throw everything in" rule; however, it takes a wee bit more prep time...mainly because it just takes a little bit of time to cube 3 pounds of chuck roast.
If I'm throwing a pot of chili together before I leave for work in the morning, I'm sticking with the ground beef. This chili, personally, makes a wonderful weekend "activity." It was actually quite lovely...my roommate and I walked to the farmers market (LOL jk...we drove), got a latte, free loaded on all the free food samples around the market, picked up a nice hearty cut of chuck from my favorite local meat vendor and went HAM on it with a questionably large knife when we got home. We then proceeded to sit on the couch all day, hungover from our previous evening activities, watching Bridesmaids and Austin Powers (International Man of Mystery, duh) while our dinner cooked. Man did the house smell amazing. 7:00 rolled around, at which point we rolled off the couch, served ourselves unnecessarily large portions of chili, poured some red wine and went to town.
Doesn't that just sound like the most lovely, productive Saturday? Nothing like sitting on your bum on a rainy day, watching Mike Myerss flash his mojo and eating some quality, clean comfort food. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 5 slices of bacon, uncooked
- 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 4 oz. can of diced jalapenos
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp cayenne (depending on how much heat you want)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cube your chuck roast into bite sized chunks and cut up your uncooked bacon into pieces. Place both in your slow cooker.
- Put all remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to LOW for 8 hours.
- Serve. If you're feeling primal, serve with some sour cream and/or raw cheddar!