Aloha! Forgive me for being cheesy, but this recipe just had me grinning from ear to ear. Prior to making this, I had never cut a pineapple. Can you believe that? I always just used to buy the pre-cut chunks at the grocery store out of sheer laziness. Then the other day, as I was walking towards the checkout line with my truckload of groceries - pre-cut pineapple included - I noticed that whole pineapples were like $2.00. Are you kidding me?! All this time I've been paying a meal's worth at Chipotle for like half a cup's worth of pre-cut pineapple. What a dummy I am.
So I get home, and after just perplexedly looking at the spiky piece of fruit for a few minutes, I got to cutting. And what do you know....for $2 I got more pineapple than my big tupperware container could handle. I LOVE PINEAPPLE!!!! And I love this recipe. Pineapple on top of a burger is just perfection. Add guac and bacon and o-m-f-g. Something to dream about.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt + salt to taste for guacamole
- 3 thick, round slices of fresh pineapple
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 large pieces of bib lettuce
- 1 medium tomato (I used a beefsteak tomato)
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked
- Fire up your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef, paprika, garlic powder and the 1/2 tsp of sea salt (save the other 1/2 tsp for the guacamole). Form 3 patties with this mixture.
- Place your patties and pineapple slices on the grill. Take off the pineapple slices after about 3 minutes. Take the burgers off when they've reached your desired doneness (I like mine medium to medium rare, so 5-6 minutes was the perfect amount of time).
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado with lime juice and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Boom - simple guacamole.
- For each burger, lay a thick slice of tomato on top of two stacked slices of bib lettuce. Place burger on top of lettuce/tomato. Spread guacamole evenly across burgers. Place one strip of bacon (halved) on top of the guacamole. DRUMROLL...finish it off with a glorious piece of grilled pineapple.