Maybe I'm judgmental (no maybe about it), but I roll my eyes when people say they "hate" Starbucks. No you don't. You just hate how consumer-driven and "trendy" it is. I mean, if you want to support your local, hipstery coffee shop...by all means! I know I do! But just because you enjoy your almond milk latte served in an artsy to go cup doesn't mean you need to "stick it to the man" that is Starbucks.
My usual order at Starbucks is an Americano with a bit of steamed heavy cream. Glory. Something that DOES suck about the place though is walking in and seeing the luscious whipped cream ridden frappucinos plastered all over their banners. It really only sucks because they are so good and I usually want one. Channeling my discipline can be RUL tough in these instances. Those things are so good I used to be able to finish it with one loooong sip. Not kidding...it was impressive.
Unfortunately, frappucinos are laden with garbage. So when I transitioned to paleo, I really started to miss those frozen treats and challenged myself to make a paleo-approved version. Mission accomplished. Holla! So now that I've perfected this combination, I LAUGH in the face of Starbucks' impeccable photography. And then I happily order my Americano and revel in how much I love Starbucks. Follow the recipe below to get your clean frappucino on.
- 1/4 cup cold brew coffee concentrate, or 1 cup chilled brewed coffee
- If using coffee concentrate, 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk; if using brewed coffee, 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 heaping tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tsp honey (I do without the honey as the banana is a good enough sweetener for me, but if you want it sweeter...do you)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on. DRANK!