Cream cheese in cookie dough. Sounds weird, right? WRONG. It's delicious. And not paleo at all. One could argue, however, that this fine lil' cookie is primal. I'll go ahead and stick to that story. Though I try to stick to a strict paleo template 80-90% of the time, I love to indulge in cheese as it doesn't bother my tummy. Must be the Mediterranean princess in me - right, Dad?
I also realize that many of you who visit my site are not strict paleo, and many of you can also tolerate cheese. So even though I'm breaking a few paleo rules here, I am merely fulfilling my domestic duty to accommodate you cheese people too.
Ipso facto, these cookies don't taste like cream cheese. It's essentially in there for texture purposes - adding cream cheese to cookie dough is a sneaky way to achieve that gloriously soft and chewy cookie. And I'm not talkin' about "they're only soft and chewy right outta the oven"...these suckers are soft and chewy into their cookie adulthood. And then they die a soft and chewy death as you cram 'em down your cramhole (your mouth, you pervert).
- 8 oz. regular cream cheese
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 tbsp sunbutter
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar OR 1 cup of erythritol (I used erithrytol for a lower carb option, it's about 60/70% as sweet as coconut sugar or regular sugar so you need to use more to get the sweetness equivalent)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder of choice (I used SFH Pure)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Soften the cream cheese, butter and sunbutter together in a microwave-safe mixing bowl for 30 seconds. Whip together until creamy.
- Add eggs to mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients, folding in the chocolate chips last.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and chill the dough while you wait.
- Spoon tsp size dollops of dough across a few greased cookie sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes. 13 minutes was perfect for me, but bake them until they are slightly golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
Servings: 45-50 mini cookies